Dr.H R Nagendra
Dr.H R Nagendra is the President of Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samathana (VYASA) and also the Chancellor of Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana University (S-VYASA University). Dr. H R Nagendra, is widely recognized across the world as Yoga Guru.
Born on Janauary 1, 1943. Dr. H R Nagendra recived his Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering from Bangalore University in and PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore in 1968. Later served as faculty of IISc in Department of Mechanical Engineering. Served as Post-Doctoral Research Fellow in the University of British Columbia, Canada in 1969. In 1970 moved to NASA Marshall Space Flight Centre, USA as Post-Doctoral Research Associate. In 1972 Moved to Engineering Science Laboratory, Harvard University, USA as a Consultant and also a Visiting Staff at Imperial College of Science and Technology, London.
Dr. H R Nagendra, During 1975, joined Vivekananda Kendra, a service mission, as Honorary Director of Training Centre, Vivekanandapuram, Kanyakumari. Served as Secretary, Vivekananda Kendra Yoga Therapy & Research Committee (VK YOGAS) during 1979-1986. During 1993-2000 served All India Vice-President.
He is Serving as President Viveknanda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana (VYASA), Bengaluru, since 2000 . Served as Vice Chancellor Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samthana University (S-VYASA) from 2002-2013 and serving as Chancellor from 2013. Apart from this, Currently Dr H R Nagendra is the Chairman, IDY (Internal national Day of Yoga) Experts Committee, Task force of AYUSH (Ministry of Health &Family Welfare), SAC of CCRY (CENTRAL COUNCIL FOR RESEARCH IN YOGA AND NATUROPATHY), Government of India. He is covted with DSc (Hoonory Causa) from KIIT, Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
He has published 30 Research Papers in Engineering, 135 papers on Yoga and Published 28 books on Yoga. Dr. H R Nagendra has guided 32 PhD students. He is the recipient of many honors and awards from various national and international institutes and organizations. He is mentor for many educational and other organization
- Man of Excellence award by the Badaganadu Sangha ssociation, Bangalore – 1994.
- Yoga Shree award by Padmashri Yogacharya BKS Iyengar, organized by Bangalore Yoga Association - 1995
- Award by the Chief Minister, Govt of Delhi for contributions in the field of Yoga Therapy - 1995
- Recipient of Patanjali Award 1997 for the contributions in the field of Yoga by ISM&H, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India through Director, ISM&H in Bangalore.
- Recipient of Bhaskar award for the contributions in the field of Yoga by organizers of Mystic India Exhibition, New Delhi from the hands of Sri Ramananda Sagar – 1997.
- Nominated by the American Biographical Association for the Distinguished Leadership award for his service to humanity
- National Citizen’s Award from the hands of Justice P N Bhagavati, Hon’ble Chairman, United Nations Human Rights Commission - 2001
- Recipient of Bharata Ratna Sir M Visvesvaraya Science Award for the contributions in the field of Yoga Education and Yoga Therapy from Svadeshi Vijnana Andholan, Karnataka - 2010
- International Yoga Grand Master Award from Portuguese Yoga Confederation - 2013
- Kannada Rajyothsava Award (for Organization) - 2010
- Bharat Gaurav award in British Parliament - 2015
- Global Peace Award in UNO hall from Sri Swami Madhavananda, World Peace Council, Vienna - 2015
- Light of Yoga award from Hindu Students Council, New Jersey, USA – 2015
He is Chairman and Member for various Government and Non-Government Committees and Organizations
- Member of the Governing Council of Central Institute of Yoga Research, New Delhi
- Member of the Working Group of Experts for Planning Commission under the Ministry of Health (Indian Systems of Medicine)
- Member of the Working Group of Experts for preparation and approval of Syllabus for Courses in Yoga and Naturopathy under the Ministry of Health (Indian Systems of Medicine)
- Member of the Working Group of Experts for preparation and approval of Syllabus for Post Graduate Course in Yoga of Bangalore University
- Member of the Selection Board for selecting candidates to be deputed abroad by the Indian Council of Cultural Relations, New Delhi
- Member of the Selection Board for selecting Deputy Director (Yoga) for CCRYN under the department of ISM&H, Government of India
- Member of the Governing Council and Finance Committee for National Institute of Naturopathy, Pune
- Member of the Board of Studies for the subject of Science of Living, Jain Vishva Bharati Institute, Ladanu (Rajasthan)
- Member of the Board of Studies in Yoga in Maharshi Dayananda Saraswathi University, Ajmir and also for Bangalore and Mangalore Universities
- Member of the Expert Committee of Ayurveda in NIMHANS University
- Chairman of a Documentation Committee set up by CCRYN, Ministry of Health & Food, Government of India
- Consultation Yoga, Swinbun University, School of Integrative Medicine, Melbourne
- Member, Governing Council of Institute of Speech and Hearing, Mysore
- Vice- President, Indian Yoga Association
- Working President, Vishwa Mangala Gou Grama Yathra
- Chairmanship of IDY, Task Force.